Google
What's Karen Up To Calendar

Friday, June 25, 2010

Ayiti Day #24 - My last working day in Leogane

Today completed my last working day during my three week stint in Leogane -- the epicenter of the earthquake. We finished up our mobile clinic at Fondwa - a remote area 1 hour away by cracked roads which was upon a hill with wide, sweeping views of terraced farmlands. Patients who come to this clinic travel far (2 weeks ago someone walked 5hrs) and usually the waiting area is packed even before we arrive. Today though, we had only a measely handful of 35 patients (instead of 70+ from previous weeks). As I asked around, causes were: the World Cup (everyone, including the dogs are fans), high chance of rain (since these people trek for miles to attend clinic, traversing up our hill was near impossible by foot in mud) and finally, the huge winds. Recent buildup of winds as we enter cyclone season made leaving accomodations (especially tents) a risk of losing ones home. I can't imagine living with no security of home -- that it may get blown away by the wind, swept away by the floods and stolen from. One of our doctors lost his home in the quake and is currently living in a tent. He maintains all his possessions in this tent. He and his family live there by night but by day, everyone exits as it is too hot to remain inside. In my near 1 month in Haiti, I have come to realize the Haitians are a very unique group of people. Despite the horrors of their living conditions and working conditions, they remain steadfast in their work ethics. They work hard with NEVER a complaint and with ALWAYS the most brilliant gleaming smile. (Speaking of smile, I flossed my teeth with a sugar cane today!)

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?