Google
What's Karen Up To Calendar

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Ayiti Day #5 - The opulent life

Amongst all the poverty, I am trying to cope with the high-class living I am experiencing here. I guess it only makes sense for NGOs to make sure that their skilled medical staff are safe and comfortable despite being surrounded by people living in tents and starving. At the Maison, we have maids, cooks, drivers, laundry is done on a daily basis, slow internet, fresh bottled water, mosquito netting around all the windows and the POOL.
Today we took an air-conditioned car ride to a posh Chinese restaurant for lunch. I ended up paying $25USD for an average Chinese meal. I will say now that this will be the only luxury meal I am willing to partake while I am here. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy it. I did enjoy the meal and particularly the company, but I feel guilt ridden for having spent so much on a meal when I could have just had a powerbar. Since returning to the US, I have found it ever more difficult to differentiate between want and need. From watching the Haitians, there are really not many needs for existence. I have so much to learn from them. I head to Leogane tomorrow. Life is supposed to be more rugged, more raw and more HOT! I can't wait!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?