Google
What's Karen Up To Calendar

Thursday, June 03, 2010

Ayiti Day #2 - First day of Haiti work

OMG. What a day. Where do I start? It was God's Day today and supposedly many people observed in their churches but we still had a whopping 120+ patients at Heart to Heart International's biggest clinic in Bellaire. The clinic is cleverly set up on the balcony floor of a Nazarene church and it was wonderful to walk into beautiful religious singing.
I spent most of the day in pharmacy counting and dispensing meds with the aid of a translator. Correction. I spent most of today on a medication scavenger hunt. Most children were malnutritioned (vitamins), had skin infections (permetrin) and had fevers (tylenol) and coughs (tylenol cold). Most adult patients had chronic diseases such as hypertension (hctz) and diabetes (metformin). I did do a couple of rocephin and tetanus IM injections though.
I tell you, infection control goes out the window in Haiti. I was only able to do one injection donning gloves (pictured). It was the most clumsy task because my hands immediately started pouring with sweat once I wore the gloves. It was just as difficult to keep my hands in the gloves as it was to grasp the syringe. Yikes! I hope I am not already starting to pick up bad habits!
Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/livealittle/sets/72157624481871336/

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?