Google
What's Karen Up To Calendar

Monday, June 14, 2010

Ayiti Day #13 - Mwen ayisyen (I'm Haitian)

When I travel I make an effort to do as the locals do. For example, although my usual diet does not typically include meat, I make an exception when I am in a foreign country (I've eaten dog, horse, snake, kangaroo, emu, crickets, ants, worms, rocky mountain oysters, turkey penis, whale, mystery street meat -- but no cat in Haiti as of yet!). While in a foreign country, I enjoy immersing myself into their culture and trying my best to be a native myself by learning their language, dressing as they do and using their mannerisms. I enjoy realizing that they are intelligent human beings with interesting life stories just like you and me. Most of all, I enjoy experiencing a bit more of this incredible universe we all exist in.
So, I became a little bit more Haitian today... by getting my hair braided. It was a 1.5 hour scalp numbing ordeal. Haitian girls' scalp nerves must become desensitized by this process as 5 hours later I'm still debating about taking my codeine phosphate or not. I'm not sure if this is the look for me. What do you think?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?