Google
What's Karen Up To Calendar

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Ayiti Day #12 - Zanmi mwen (My friends)

Boy, was the house uncomfortably quiet today. Our volunteer super gang of 11 was reduced to 3 with people heading home. The dynamic of the group was great and we got along very well even though I spent only 1 full day with 6 of the people. I felt a real connection between us all and truly hope we stay in touch. An attending, 3 residents and their nurse from a family practice in Utah came together as part of their residency program. I hope this great example will set a precedent for future residency programs and remind new doctors how valuable their new skills really are.
I can't imagine how difficult it must be for the Haitian translators to befriend a volunteer group knowing that their new friends will disappear back home in a week. They are so outwardly friendly and eager to help and share with the full knowledge that the new relationship is only temporary. At this point, I've only experienced 2 groups leaving and I, myself, am finding it a challenge to stay happy and perky in forming these temporary relationships. Surely this experience has and will leave me with connections to generous, kind, like-minded people all over the US and hopefully many will not be temporary!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?