Google
What's Karen Up To Calendar

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Ayiti Day #28 - Dènye jou (Last Day)

I spent most of my last day at the Belaire clinic with my favorite Haitian-partner-in-pharmacy-crime, John (pictured) and being transported in my favorite mode -- via open air flatbed truck! Clinic was not a super crazy day as it usually is and I wonder if it was because of soccer or if I had mastered the pharmacy.
Three months ago, Haiti was merely a whimsical idea. I wasn't even sure if I would be competent enough to come and truly contribute. Now, Haiti has enchanted me and, for the first time ever, I am already planning to return. After speaking with others, I've come to realize that there is a certain type of magic about Haiti which immediately charms you. All the smiles I've seen were warm and embracing. All the 'bou jou's I've received were sincere. But, I've been most impressed with the Haitian resiliency. They are a resilient people. Most have lived in poverty all their lives and have been thrust into even harder living conditions since the earthquake. But they cope with the change and persevere. In my one month, I have yet to hear a Haitian complain (with the exception of the sick who see us at the clinic, of course). So I really have no excuse for disliking our trickle showers in Leogane, for having an 8p curfew or for cursing the flash afternoon rains for soaking my dried clothes on the line again. The Haitians have it right. Be happy for what you already have; a happy life can be a very simple one too.

Comments:
Karen,
I read your blog on Haiti and then went back in time with you. You have an amazing gift of writing! Your description of feelings and searchings......WOW. Continue writing and consider publishing or talking to someone about it. I will enjoy and look forward to keeping up with your life. Love and Blessings - Shari
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?